Leg varicose veins are a disorder of blood outflow from the tissues due to stenosis of the vessels and functional failure of the venous valves. Blood stagnation in vessels leads to trophic changes, formation of blood clots, deep ulcerous defects. The fight against varicose veins in the legs is supervised by a phlebologist, in part by a vascular surgeon (vein specialist).
Drugs of several groups are used in the form of ointments, tablets for oral administration. The use of medications is strictly in a system, because in this way the chances of successful cure of vein problems are higher. If only ointments or pills are used, the effect is incomplete.
What ointments or gels should be used to treat varicose veins in the legs and restore blood flow?
The main areas of treatment for blood disease
The therapy of varicose veins of the legs is complex, aimed at solving several problems:
- Elimination of the inflammatory process. The release of special mediators leads to an inflammatory process in the tissues. Hence the visual increase in the lower extremities, pain, discomfort and heaviness.
- Reduction of swelling. Venous and lymphatic outflow in the vessels is disturbed, fluid accumulates locally.
- Restoration of adequate blood flow in the legs. It is achieved by stimulating the full contraction of blood vessels, activation of venous valves.
- Pain syndrome, heaviness in varicose veins of the legs, discomfort of other kinds.
- Normalization of rheological properties of the blood. Restoration of adequate fluidity of liquid connective tissue. Blood thinning should not be excessive.
The use of ointments, creams makes it possible to achieve results at the local level. Local disorders are eliminated. Selectivity, however, does not allow to fight the root cause of the condition. Such treatment is not complete. Ultimately, therapy is reduced to the restoration of functional activity of the lower limbs and the prevention of complications.
Groups of ointments and gels from varicose veins in the legs and their names
The selection of pharmaceutical types of medicines is carried out on the basis of the directions indicated above.
Elimination of the inflammatory process
Is carried out with the use of two groups of means: anti-inflammatory of nonsteroidal origin, as well as steroidal drugs of general action.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs) are used in the first place. Among the names:
- Naise gel.
There is no fundamental difference between them. These are ointments against the inflammatory component of varicose veins in the legs with a narrow spectrum of action. They are applied 1-3 times a day, depending on the severity of the process, with light, circular movements. A more intensive application is inadmissible for treatment purposes, as the active components will begin to be absorbed into the blood through the large vessels.
It is also not necessary to apply ointments based on anti-inflammatory substances in the presence of trophic ulcers. Open wounds do not allow the use of ointments against varicose veins in the legs. After epithelialization (healing), it is possible to resort to their use.
The effect of NSAIDs is based on the ability to reduce the sensitivity of receptors to the effects of inflammatory mediators. Pain, discomfort and heaviness are eliminated.
Steroids are used in extreme cases. Only when NSAIDs are ineffective. Prednisolone and its analogues (Hydrocortisone, Advantan) are shown. Inflammation and pain are suppressed, local tissue nutrition improves. It is not used in large quantities, due to the possibility of provoking side effects of a generalized nature.
Removal of puffiness
The already mentioned corticosteroid-based medications are used for elimination of edema. Complex agents with anti-inflammatory, venotonic and healing action are also prescribed (see below).
Restoration of normal blood flow in the legs with varicose veins
Ointments and gels with phlebotonic (venotonic) action are indicated. The action of such drugs is based on the ability to stimulate the contraction of the vascular walls, the work of the venous valves. Among the names are:
And their analogues. There is also no fundamental difference between the drugs described, so you can use any name. Some are stronger than others, thanks to a greater concentration of the active component. The price difference can reach hundreds of rubles. It is better to trust in the matter of choice to a doctor, he will select an ointment, based on the “neglect” of the condition.
The application is course application. Do not count on the rapid result, it is achieved after a few weeks. The manufacturers themselves indicate the need for complex application, along with tablet medication (Troxevasin + Troxerutin and other combinations). The duration of one therapeutic course is 25-30 days, then a break and a new course. Frequency is not limited, determined by the severity of the overall condition. The advanced process requires almost continuous use of ointments against varicose veins in the legs.
Elimination of pain syndrome
Discomfort, pain is eliminated with the help of analgesics of local application. These are complex remedies for simultaneous control of pain and inflammation. Pure analgesics in the form of ointments, creams on the pharmaceutical market are few. The drugs used are:
- Fastum gel.
The scope of the above ointments, gels, creams is wide and is not limited to varicose veins of the legs. Applied as directed, up to 3 times a day for 7-12 days, then a break is required. Appointment of analgesics alone is inappropriate. They relieve the symptoms, and fight the effect of the unaffected cause.
Normalization of rheological blood properties
Assumes the appointment of venotonics, as well as means for blood thinning. The most effective heparin ointment. However, it is used with caution, as increased vascular permeability, the development of fragility, and as a result, local bleeding, bruising, worsening leg varicose veins.
In addition to heparin, there are other drug names:
This is already complex drugs, heparin is also in their composition. In addition to heparin are corticosteroids.
Complex ointments from varicose veins of the legs
Such preparations have a systemic effect. They solve several problems at once. In the case of early therapy of varicose veins of the legs, it is especially convenient: there is no need to buy dozens of ointments, apply them by the hour.
- Lyoton. It is used to relieve swelling, pain, improve local blood flow, prevent the formation of blood clots. It has a fast therapeutic effect: it is achieved on the second – third day of application.
- Dolobene. Another complex medication to combat swelling, pain. It accelerates blood flow, prevents the appearance of fragility of blood vessels, the appearance of blood clots.
- Troxerutin. More effective than Troxevasin several times over. The drug contains the substance Troxerutin of the same name. It relieves pain, swelling, inflammation, normalizes the state of the veins, provides adequate venous and lymphatic outflow, prevents the formation of blood clots. The speed of achieving the therapeutic effect is a few days, like Lyoton. The manufacturer himself recommends taking Troserutin in tablets at the same time, to achieve the greatest effect.
- Veniton. Appointed in the early stages of varicose veins in the legs, at later stages it is almost ineffective. It has a herbal origin.
Basic principles of therapy
How to correctly apply ointments from varicose veins of the legs, in order to achieve maximum effect in a short time?
- Do not prescribe treatment on your own. It is necessary to take into account a mass of nuances. In the presence of varicose veins of the legs should consult a phlebologist, surgeon or vascular surgeon.
- Strictly follow the instructions and doctor’s advice. If an insufficient dosage is prescribed, there will be no therapeutic effect. An excess of ointment will lead to penetration of the active components into the blood, side effects will occur. The beneficial effect will not become any more.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the ointment. In the absence of improvement, contact the doctor again to revise the course. Approximate period at the end of which you can judge the adequacy of the treatment, 7-10 days.
- If side effects occur, including intolerance of the drug, ask for a revision of the therapeutic course.
- Pain may indicate the formation of blood clots. To rule out the process, you need to see a specialist again.
Ointments, gels, creams for varicose veins of the legs are prescribed in combination with drugs in tablet form. Combinations of the ointments themselves are possible. For monotherapy, many names on the market are little suitable. In order to achieve a quality treatment effect, it is recommended to consult a doctor.