In summer, hair is exposed to serious tests. The increased solar activity disturbs the structure of hair, worsens the appearance of strands, hairs look dry and lifeless. Beauty experts Elena Dobrova and Yegor Fastov told us what factors are harmful for hair in summer and how to care or protect our hair during the hot season.
Problems with hair in summer, and how to care it of
Summer is a real challenge for hair. Here are the most common problems that arise with hair in the hot season:
- dry and tangled,
- dull and lifeless appearance,
- color fade,
- brittleness and split ends,
- increased oiliness scalp,
- slow growth and hair loss.
What harms my hair in summer?
The most common natural factors that harm hair during the hot season are sunlight, dry air and wind, seawater, and improper care. Let’s take a closer look at the effects of each factor:
- The sun’s rays destroy the keratin that makes curls strong and healthy. This causes them to weaken and look ungroomed. Ultraviolet light destroys the pigment of the hair. It causes damage to their structure, making them dry and brittle.
- Heat stimulates the sebaceous glands to work more intensively, so the hair gets greasy more often and gets dirty faster. High temperature impairs blood circulation in the scalp, which results in poor nourishment of hair follicles, hair growth slows down and hair starts to fall out.
- Dry hot air makes locks brittle, dries the ends, deprives hair of essential moisture.
- After bathing in sea water, tiny particles of sea salt remain on the curls. This, combined with the hot air, causes the hair to lose essential moisture and dry out the curls.
- Improper care provokes dehydration of hair and scalp. The author of the book “Luxury Hair. Care. Hairstyles. Elena Dobrova among factors that negatively affect the condition of hair, called drying conditioners and frequent washing of the head.
How to protect my hair in summer?
The main recommendations to protect your locks during the period of increased sun activity are as follows:
- Protect your hair from the sun. The surest way, according to Elle Girl magazine, is to wear a hat or cap. Special sunscreen sprays are available, but they are difficult to apply evenly.
- Also, don’t blow-dry or blow-dry your hair too much. The Elle magazine advised you to pay close attention to the temperature of the devices and how to use them. For example, it is better to use cold air when drying or to keep a hair dryer at a distance of 15-20 cm from the hair.
- Choose special cosmetics with SPF-protection and UV-filter that will create an invisible protective film on the hair.
- Refrain from hair coloring and bleaching. After such procedures, hair becomes more brittle, breaks faster and reacts more strongly to the aggressive environment.
- Have salon treatments to strengthen and protect the outer layer and moisturize the hair itself, such as those with amino acids and hydrolyzed keratin.
- Rinse hair with fresh water after swimming in the sea, so that there is no salt residue. It is better to dry your hair indoors, not in the sun or wind.
Don’t forget about nutrition. Drink plenty of clean water to maintain an optimal balance of water and salts in the body. Fruits, vegetables, and berries with a high water content can help make up for fluid deficiencies.
How to take care of my hair in summer?
To make your hair look healthy and beautiful in the summer, it is necessary to provide them with comprehensive care. To do this, you should clean your locks with the right shampoo and conditioner, use nourishing masks, moisturize with cosmetic oils and conditioners. Consider each point of care in detail.
Use a high-cleansing shampoo
High temperatures, heavy perspiration, dry air and dust contribute to increased hair contamination. Winter cleansers can’t cope with all the summer beauty problems. Here are a few tips from Yegor Fastov:
- During the hot season, give preference to a shampoo with high cleansing capacity and less nourishing properties.
- The owners of bleached hair in the summer is better to choose a shampoo for colored hair. It is lighter than nourishing and regenerating shampoos, cleanses the hair better, and also has a light UV protection.
- If your hair gets dirty very quickly, use a shampoo for greasy hair. It will normalize the balance of your skin, and with regular use it will completely solve the problem of quickly polluted hair.
- Choose a conditioner with a light texture, for example, water-based gels.
It is not recommended to use products with active ingredients without SPF-protection.
Make nourishing masks and decoctions
In summer your hair needs increased nutrition to resist the aggressive sun. A great solution can be a nourishing masks, rich in vitamins and trace elements. They can be purchased in stores or make them yourself from the improvised products. Also help decoctions and infusions of natural herbs.
Here are the best options for nourishing the hair:
Home masks. Mix 1 tbsp. mayonnaise, 1 tsp. honey and the yolk of one egg. Spread the mixture evenly over the entire length of your hair, comb it out with a comb. Put a shower cap and a towel on top. Leave on for 2 hours, then wash off with warm water and shampoo.
Herbal Decoctions. Lavender, cornflower, calendula, chamomile and rose petals are ideal for proper summer hair care. Pour a handful of dried flowers in boiling water, leave for 3-5 hours. Strain the mixture. Rinse your hair with the resulting liquid after each wash.
Product with keratin. This substance fills the voids in the hair structure, having a therapeutic effect. The strands become stronger and more resistant to external influences.
Masks should be done once or twice a week. Keratinization can be repeated every 10 weeks. Read more:
Keep your hair moisturized
How to moisturize your hair in summer? The easiest and most affordable ways:
- Moisten your hair frequently with fresh water. This will help reduce the salt buildup from swimming in seawater.
- Use a moisturizing leave-in conditioner. This can prevent the loss of moisture and prevent your locks from drying out while you’re in the sun.
- Apply cosmetic oils to your hair. Oily oils don’t moisturize your hair on their own, but they can seal in moisture, creating a light protective film. Choose almond oil, argan oil, coconut oil, castor oil, grape seed oil or avocado oil. Apply cosmetic oils as follows: put a few drops on your hands, then distribute it on your hair, paying particular attention to the ends. Do not rinse.
In the summer period it is preferable to do light styling with minimal fixation. For girls who cannot do without styling products, it is necessary to follow their composition. Do not use fixing mousses and varnishes with a high alcohol content: they dry the already weakened by external influences hair.
High temperature, dry air and salt water dry the hair, making it brittle and lifeless. To help your locks this summer, protect them from the harsh sun and give them the right care.